| Serves 4
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon table salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup half and half
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or flavoring)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/4 pounds Granny smith apples or Braeburn apples (3 to 4 large apples), peeled, quartered, cored, and cut into ˝ inch thick slices
1/4 cut light brown sugar or dark brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Confectioners’ sugar (for dusting)
10 inch Cast-iron pan (temperature no higher than 425 degrees, will bake faster)
10 inch non-stick Skillet (will need Higher pre heat and take longer to bake)
1. Put oven rack to the upper middle position, pre heat oven to 500 degrees (non stick skillet) or 425 degrees if you are using a 10 inch cast-iron pan.
2. Whisk to combine flower, granulated sugar, and salt in medium bowl. In second medium blow, whisk eggs, half-and-half, and vanilla until combined. Add liquid ingredients to dry and whisk until no lumps remain (about 20 seconds) set batter aside.
3. Heat butter in 10-inch oven stick skillet or 10-inch iron skillet over medium-high heat until sizzling. Add apples, brown sugar, and cinnamon; cook, stirring frequently with heatproof spatula, until apples are golden brown, about 10 minutes. Off heat, stir in lemon juice.
4. Working quicky, pour batter around and over apples. Place skillet in oven and immediately reduce oven temperature to 425 degress (using a cast-iron skillet, oven should already be at this temperature); bake until pancake edges are brown and puffy and have risen above edges of skillet. Non stick skillet takes about 18 minutes, cast-iron pan about 9 minutes.
5. With your oven mtts to protect your hands, remove hot skillet from oven and loosen pancake edges with heatproof rubber spatula; invert pancake onto serving platter. Dust with confectioners’ sugar, cut into wedges, and serve.
Can be served with Maple Syrup or Caramel Sauce.